I Don't Know Where to Start

I Don't Know Where to Start

If you are (or someone you are with is) in immediate danger or feel unsafe, call 9‑1‑1.

It is completely normal for a student to need help or not know whether or not they would like to report an incident of sexual harassment, including sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, gender-based harassment or bullying, and stalking. It is also every student's right not to report an incident to the university or law enforcement if they do not want the incident to be investigated. Students are NOT required to provide additional information about the incident or participate in a university investigation in order to receive services. Our goal is to provide all students with information on reporting options so they can make an informed decision.

It is important for students to know that most employees of the University of Oregon (including resident assistants) are required reporters. Required reporters are mandated by university policy to report to the administration any information they receive about sexual harassment, including sexual assault, domestic or dating violence, gender-based harassment or bullying, and stalking. Once the university receives this information, they are required by law to provide services to the survivor as well as investigate the reported incident.

Confidential Support Options

The University Health Center, the University Counseling Center (part of the University Counseling and Testing Center) and Crisis Intervention and Sexual Violence Support Services in the Office of the Dean of Students have staff who can provide confidential services where students can receive help and support without the university being informed of the incident. 

Additionally, there are off-campus agencies such as SASS and Womenspace where students can receive services without university notification. These are great resources and services for students who know they do not want to report an incident or who would like to talk over their options with a trained professional outside the university.